Brunswick Stew is made with three different kinds of meat, smoky BBQ sauce, tender vegetables, and tomato sauce. This hearty, homemade stew will have you coming back for seconds and thirds!
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup Hickory BBQ Sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15- ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (15- ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups diced or shredded cooked chicken (I like to use a rotisserie chicken)
- In a large (7- quart) Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat. Add in the onions and peppers and cook until soft, 5 – 7 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add in the ground pork and beef and cook until no more pink remains and the meat is cooked through. Drain any excess liquid and fat.
- Add in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, BBQ sauce, chicken broth, corn, creamed corn, hot sauce, pepper, salt, thyme, cayenne, and chicken. Stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 30 – 45 minutes until thickened and the flavors combine.
Store airtight for up to 3 days. Freeze airtight for up to 3 months.
Keywords:: brunswick stew, chicken brunswick stew