Looking for a hearty, piping-hot soup recipe to keep you warm in the cold weather? This Baked Potato Soup, topped with cheese and bacon bits, is the perfect soup for the job!
- 2/3 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon (I like to use Better than Bouillon)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups sour cream
- 6 medium russet potatoes, baked, peeled, and cubed
- 1 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional garnishes: chopped green onions, crumbled bacon, grated cheese
- In a large Dutch Oven or saucepan over medium-low heat melt the butter. Add in the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in the flour and bouillon and cook for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Slowly stream in the chicken stock, whisking to combine. Add in the milk and stir until smooth. Turn the heat up to medium and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring frequently, until thickened, 10 – 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and whisk in the sour cream. Add the potatoes, bacon, and cheese, stirring until the cheese is melted. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm and top with any or all optional garnishes.
Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Keywords:: baked potato soup, baked potato soup recipe, bacon potato soup, cheesy bacon potato soup, hearty soup recipe