Skillet Chicken Parmesan is a great comfort food dish that’s easy enough for a weeknight meal, but special enough to serve at a dinner party!
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts, sliced into medium sized cutlets and sliced or pounded to 1/3- 1/2 inch thick
- salt and pepper to season chicken
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs
- vegetable oil to fry
- 1 (24 ounce) jar Marinara sauce
- 1 1-1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound pasta cooked according to package directions to serve
- Place your chicken breasts on a large cutting board, trimming any excess fat. Season the chicken liberally with salt and pepper on both sides.
- In a shallow bowl mix together the bread crumbs, basil, parsley and garlic powder.
- In another shallow bowl whisk together the 2 eggs.
- Creating a working station dip each cutlet into the egg and then into the bread crumb mixture, coating evenly.
- Repeat this process with all the chicken.
- In a 10- inch skillet add enough oil to cover and fill the pan until it’s 1/4- inch deep. Heat the oil on medium until it’s hot enough to fry. (To test the heat of the oil place the back end of a wooden spoon in the oil. If bubbles form immediately the oil is ready. If not allow the oil to heat a few minutes more.)
- Line a large plate with paper towels and set aside.
- Place 3- 4 pieces of chicken in the hot oil. Allow the chicken to cook for 4-5 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Transfer the chicken to the paper towel lined plate to soak up excess oil.
- When all the chicken is cooked pour the frying oil into a glass container to dispose of. Wipe the skillet clean with a paper towel.
- Pour the entire jar of Bertolli sauce in the skillet and nestle all the chicken into the sauce and sprinkle the chicken pieces with both cheeses.
- Preheat the oven to broil.
- Cover the skillet with a lid or foil and place back on the stove top and heat over medium-low heat for 7-10 minutes until the cheese is just about melted.
- Finally uncover the skillet and place under the broiler for 1- 2 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and lightly toasted.
- Serve immediately with pasta.
Keywords:: skillet chicken parmesan, stove top chicken parmesan, pan fried chicken parm, easy chicken dinner recipe, cast iron chicken parm