This Monkey bread is out of control delicious! It’s the perfect breakfast or brunch recipe for special occasions.
- 2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/3 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 1/2 – 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Dough: Mix the yeast, sugar and water together in a bowl and allow the mixture to sit for 4 minutes until the yeast is dissolved.
- In the bowl of the stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment mix 3 ½ cups flour, salt and oil together on low speed. Stir the yeast mixture and then slowly add it to the bowl with the flour. Mix this on medium speed for 5- 6 minutes. If the dough is excessively sticky add the remaining flour 1 tablespoon at a time until it becomes it becomes smooth.
- Spray the inside of a large bowl with cooking spray and transfer the dough into the bowl, cover with a clean dish cloth, place in a warm place and allow it to raise for 2 hours or until it has doubled in size. Alternately you can place the dough into a sprayed gallon sized zip-top bag and allow it to rise in the refrigerator overnight (you get the same results and the dough is ready in the morning for breakfast).
- Coating and Assembly: Preheat your oven to 350°F/175°C
- Spray a bundt pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle half of the pecans into the bottom of the pan evenly and it set aside.
- Place the brown sugar and melted butter in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Punch the risen dough down and tear pieces of the dough off and roll into 1- inch balls. Dip each dough ball into the brown sugar/butter mixture and place in the prepared pan. Continue this with all the dough, placing it in the pan evenly. Drizzle any remaining brown sugar/butter mixture on top of the dough and finally sprinkle on the remaining pecans.
- Bake the bread for 30- 35 minutes until it’s risen and lightly golden.
- Remove the pan from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool slightly.
- Icing: While the bread is cooling make your icing by combining the butter, brown sugar and heavy cream into a medium saucepan. Cook the mixture, stirring frequently, until it comes to a boil and boil for one minute. Remove from the heat immediately and whisk in the powdered sugar.
- Invert the bundt pan onto a cake stand or serving platter. Drizzle the icing evenly on top of the bread.
- Serve warm.
Store airtight at room temperature for up to 2 days
Keywords:: cookies and cups, monkey bread, pull apart bread, yeast dough, bundt pan, breakfast, brunch