The BEST chili recipe ever! This recipe took years to develop, playing around with methods and ingredients. I think you’re going to love it!
- 5 – 6 pounds chuck roast, trimmed of excess fat and cut into large chunks
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 – 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (4- ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 – 3 cups beef broth
- 1 (28- ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 (16- ounce) cans kidney or black beans
- optional – 1 (11- ounce) can corn, drained (I like to use Mexicorn)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- topping ideas – Fritos, sour cream, grated cheese, jalapeños, cilantro, lime wedges
- Season the chuck roast with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large (7- quart) Dutch oven or stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the chuck roast in batches, browning on each side. Transfer to a plate and repeat with all meat.
- Reduce the heat to medium and heat the remaining 2- tablespoons of olive oil. Add in the onions and bell pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes, until softened. Add in the garlic and cook for an additional minute, stirring frequently. Add in the tomato paste and 2 cups of beef broth and stir to combine, scraping up the brown bits.
- Add the meat back to the pan, add in the crushed tomatoes, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, smoked paprika, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 2 1/2 -3 hours stirring occasionally, or until the meat is tender. Add in more beef broth if chili is getting too thick.
- When the meat is tender, shred using a fork. Add in the beans and corn, if desired. Cook for an additional 15 minutes. Season with more salt and pepper as desired.
Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Freeze for up to 30 days.
Keywords:: cookies and cups, chili recipe, crock pot chili, crock pot recipe, dinner idea, dinner recipe